Friday, March 4, 2011

Beauty of Vedic Mathemetics

 
Hello everybody!


Blog is a wonderful way to connect with people. There are some nice blogs posted on the internet. I had been busy and lazy all these days and had not written anything. After a long gap I am writing. Hope you would enjoy this.


Well, I wrote this blog after I moved to Pune, in Maharastra state, from Bangalore. I wrote this blog on the third day, after relocating to Pune. I joined a company called Vertex and am already feeling at home! Certainly, here at Vertex I have felt the warmth of all Vertexians and thank to all for making me feel at home.


The idea of this blog occurred to me, when I was reading the blogs by other vertexians. I was chatting casually with my colleague, Chaitanya and team and they mentioned about a vertexian currently in Japan and he has written a book about mathematics, which led to discussion of Vedic mathematics. That small chat made me to write this blog, thanks to Chaitanya!


Mathematics was not my cup of tea in childhood. It always used to be a difficult subject and I am sure many of you would agree with me. With all the complications of algebra, arithmetic, analytical geometry, trigonometry and number of formulae to be memorized, it used be like an unsolved puzzle.


In Japan, there are number of educational TV programs and in one such program, I saw a professor teaching integration. Lot of graphical pictures and graphs were used to explain, what the equation really means. Always visualization makes things more interesting. Where as in India, we learn mathematics my memorizing tables and formulae and most of the time we are not sure, why we have to learn and where it can be applied.


Talking about the mathematics learnt in a western way, there is one more method, which was used in ancient India. In the second year of my engineering, I got a chance to read a book on Vedic Mathematics, thanks to my roommate Amit. That book changed my perception about mathematics and made me to appreciate the beauty of numbers and mathematics.


This book called “Vedic Mathematics” is written by JAGATGURU SHANKARACHARYA SHRI BHARATI KRISHNA TEERTHA, who is a seer passionate about mathematics.


Following is the quote from the preface of the same book.


“Revered Guruji used to say that he had reconstructed the sixteen mathematical formulae from the Atharvaveda after assiduous research and ‘Tapas’ (austerity) for about eight years in the forests surrounding Sringeri. Obviously these formulae are not to be found in the present recensions of Atharvaveda. They were actually reconstructed, on the basis of intuitive revelation, from materials scattered here and there in the Atharvaveda.”


(Courtesy: http://www.hinduism.co.za/vedic.htm#Vedic Mathematics )


Using the above said 16 formulae, any of the mathematical problems can be solved with great ease and one can calculate long multiplication and division problems mentally.


Let me show you this with an example:


There is a Sutra called “Ekadhikena Purvena”, which means one greater than the previous one.


Applying this to the squaring of numbers ending with 5, one can mentally calculate and give the answer.


For example we know that 152 = 225, 252 = 625, 352 = 1225, 852 = 7225.


The above can be calculated by applying above sutra as follows:


In the number 85, the number adjacent to 5 is 8, which needs to be increased by one. This increased number is multiplied by the original number, that is 8 X 9 = 72. In front of this add square of 5, which is 25. This gives the answer 7225. Now you can try mentally calculating the squares of 45, 55, 65 and so on and cross verify with calculator.


In vedas, the slokas have encoded meaning, since in Sanskrit each alphabet has a numerical value. So while a sloka might be praising lord Krishna, when decoded it could give a solution to a complex mathematic problem, architectural problem etc., such was the wisdom of ancient India.


Following URL has more such information on Vedic mathematics and some problems.


http://www.hinduism.co.za/vedic.htm#Vedic Mathematics


I will sign off here and have a nice day!! Do let me know your feedback.

No comments:

Post a Comment